Disability Student Allowance for Deaf people

Disability Student Allowance (DSA) – we can support you.

Are you Deaf? Are you a student? Do you need funding advice? Do you need an interpreter or note taker?

Deaf students wanting to apply for DSA, but are unsure where to start, can contact us for guidance. We will assist you from the application stage through to sourcing your preferred communication professional. Things will become a lot less complicated with the experience and knowledge of our team – from sourcing the right RSLI to 1-1 support, from the translation and modification of course materials – we are here to help you succeed.

If you need us as an agency to sort out for you, and put your mind at a peace time studying at your University or at a College. Contact us on contact@femaura.com


Information from the Government

As a higher education student living in England, you can apply for a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) if you have a disability, including a:

  • long-term health condition
  • mental health condition
  • specific learning difficulty, eg dyslexia

You must meet the definition of disability under the Equality Act 2010.

The support you get depends on your individual needs and not on income.

What DSAs can pay for

You can get help with the costs of:

  • specialist equipment, eg a computer if you need one because of your disability
  • non-medical helpers
  • extra travel because of your disability
  • other disability-related costs of studying

Your course

Your course must be in the UK and one of the following:

  • a first degree, eg BA, BSc or BEd
  • a Foundation Degree
  • a Certificate of Higher Education
  • a Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
  • a Higher National Certificate (HNC)
  • a Higher National Diploma (HND)
  • a Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)
  • a postgraduate course
  • Initial Teacher Training

Check with your university or college that your course is recognised.