Femaura was founded in December 2008 by CEO, Pam (BA Hons) and Co-founder and Director, Yi (BA Hons). Being Deaf, they both have first hand experience of the barriers Deaf people face in their daily lives with communication and have a full understanding of how vital it is that different communities are able to interact, communicate, express and pass on information between each other. This is where the need for a Social Enterprise was established and Femaura was born.
The name Femaura was created by the CEO Pam. She felt that nobody should be left out and inclusivity should be represented within the name of the company, as this is something close to her heart. So with that in mind, she created the term FEMAURA, meaning ‘Fe’ (female)-‘ma’ (male) – ‘aura’.
Overtime, Femaura’s reputation grew and they started to get inundated with requests for Interpreter training, consultations with both Deaf and hearing people and one to one sessions for those wanting to learn the language. It was then decided in 2009 that they were going to offer a plethora of courses which have only expanded over the past 7 years. If you click on the COURSES tab, you will see the variety we offer and this includes Human Rights training, International Sign Language and Spanish Sign Language.
Today, Femaura are proud to have quality assurance through the International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) and Matrix Quality Accreditation.
History of Femaura’s Achievements
- 24 December 2008 – Femaura was founded as the first UK established Deaf Led Social Enterprise.
- March 2010 – Pioneers of Intensive courses including BSL Level 1 and 2, closely emulated by fellow organisations.
- March 2010 – Introduction of rare International Sign Language. This is the worlds first accredited qualification.
- January 2011 – Joined ABC Awards to offer BSL Levels 1-3 and OCN to deliver a number of courses including our innovative Deaf Way course.
- April 2011 – Established our Signing Club which runs every week.
- October 2012 – We provided our first Deaf Way Level 1 course with great success and recognition.
- February 2013– We created the first Spanish Sign Language in the UK.
- May 2013 – Formed a partnership with City and Islington College to offer free and reduced-price courses to encourage more deaf and hearing people to feel confident about the Deaf way concept.
- September 2014 – We rolled out our Human Rights and UN Convention on the Rights on Persons with Disabilities courses.
- September 2015 – we established a number of OCR qualifications including Advice and Guidance.
- October 2015 – We launch our British Sign Language Level 6 that accredited by Signature.
- June 2016 – Established Deaf Yoga. An inclusive class for Deaf and Hearing people.
- July 2016 – We decided to provide more courses in Administration, Business and Management courses that accredited by OCR awarding body.